ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 62, Issue 13

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Thu May 13 02:56:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Ralph Pichie <thevillagegeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Is there a particular reason why it needs to be a canadian based VPS?
> Well, the optics are one reason. Why are we not supporting home-grown
> web hosts, someone might wonder. Another possible concern is the laws
> of the jurisdiction where it is hosted, whatever that may be. Some may
> be concerned if the hosting was subject to US laws, for example.  I'm
> not saying it is essential, I'm proposing a couple of answers to the
> question asked.

I would absolutely agree that US law would be a concern for any
personal machine.  I'm not sure it makes much difference for a team
like this though.

If it does, I've had my eye on an outfit called Cirrus for a while -
seems reasonable, although I don't have the experience with them that
I do with Linode:
http://www.cirrushosting.com/vpshosting/linux-vps-hosting-canada-2.html

Differences I see so far:
Cirrus is Virtuozzo, Linode is Xen.
Cirrus only offers Ubuntu 8.04 so far, Linode offers every version
(10.04 support was available within hours of release).
Cirrus is one datacentre in Toronto, Linode has your choice of four
locations in the US or London.

 - Tony