Whats this?

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Fri Jun 18 18:53:08 UTC 2010

On 10-06-18 02:34 PM, Chris wrote:
> Hi Leigh,
> Here is my synopsis.
>
> When I download a Distro I always check the MD5sum at multiple locations.
> Then I use k3b to burn & recheck the MD5sum.
> Then I verify the integrity of the CD before install (during install
> option, live etc)

There's not much point checking the md5 in more than one place - if it's
correct, it's correct :)

> I was not able to recover files with live CD, However........  I decided
> to install 9.04 "alongside the other OS"
> When I restarted after loading 9.04 I was able to choose which OS to
> open with no problems, and was able to see all my files.
> *_So installing 9.04 fixed my grub issue. Would this help alfred at all?_*
> I have backups but I would have to go looking for them on my 320 GB ext
> back up.

Installing 9.04 would have reinstalled grub.  In the future, you can do
this from a livecd without installing the whole OS.

I don't understand what Alfred's problem is.  You're welcome to try.

> _" On your MSI netbook, had you added any external repositories or
> PPA's? "_ yes? I tried a couple new ones not supported by conical from
> the repositories.

That's why you're getting package signature errors - you have to
manually install the GPG keys for 3rd party repositories into your keyring.

> _"The Toshiba P100 is not a netbook.  Don't use the netbook remix on it,
> it will behave oddly."_  It seems to be working properly again for now,
> backing it up separately just in case.

Glad to hear it.

> At my last LUG build others mentioned that when they tried to update
> 10.04 it would stop at 1 of 15, one person also said that the
> (programming / partition) was changed for updates and may be the cause
> for stalling.

I'm not sure what this means, sorry.

-Leigh