Thinking about downgrading

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 14:11:36 UTC 2010

I would go with an LTS version like 8.04 Hardy Heron[1] or 10.04 Lucid
Lynx[2]. If those are too slow, why not try Xubuntu[3][4]?

Why LTS? Well if you look at the chart I made in Wikipedia[5], you'll
see just how long each release is supported for. So make sure to plan
how long you'd like to wait until you have to upgrade again,
especially if using 8.04 Hardy Heron. Don't use 6.06 Dapper Drake,
it's far too old and only updated for the server, not the desktop. For
instance, 8.04 Dapper Drake, although an LTS release, will only be
supported on the desktop until April 2011, so less than a year away.
Lastly, if you're extremely worried about performance, don't forget
about the unofficial Lubuntu[6]

[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.4/
[2] http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/
[3] http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/8.04.1/release/