Thinking about downgrading

Phil Woodland phil.woodland at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 23:44:37 UTC 2010

On Friday, June 11, 2010 07:21:54 pm Victor Mendonça wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to get a feel on what you guys would think about this.
>
> Right now I have 9.10 isntalled on my main computer (6 years old laptop
> Inspiron 1300 with 2GB RAM), which is painfully slow (and I mean really
> slow). I don't have any effects enabled and don't really need to; I like
> speed and stabiliy. The problem is that since 7.10, all new releases of
> Ubuntu seemed sluggish on this computer. It seems that everytime I upgrade
> it only gets worse. So I was thinking of installing 7.10, which worked
> without a problem.
>
> Any feedback is more than welcome!
>
> Cheers,
>

> Victor Mendonça
> http://wazem.org/

Victor,

An Inspiron 1300 (especially with 2GB ram), shouldn't have much trouble with
the latest Ubuntu.

My impression is that you have been upgrading since 7.10 and have now reached
9.10? In other words, you haven't done a fresh install, but have solely been
upgrading via aptitude (or "sudo do-release-upgrade" etc.)?

If that is the case, I would suggest doing a fresh install of the latest
Ubuntu and see if your performance issues persist (obviously after backing up
all your data as you would have downgrading). I would like to think that the
advances in the kernel since 7.10, far out-weigh the added overhead from the
9.10 software release.

Just a thought.

Cheers