Recent experience advocating Linux

Stephen Kawamoto shkawamoto at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 13:25:25 UTC 2010

On the bus to work the other day - I'm a security guard - I talked to an Asian lad using his PSP 2000.

He claimed familiarity originally with Mac and Windows XP.

At some point in the past, he tried Linux but didn't like it. I assume this may be due to the point-&-click syndrome caused by extensive Mac and Windows use.

So I advocated Linux like mad, expressing my opinion about freeing one from licensing renewals during upgrades i.e. XP and 7 require separate licenses, as do Macs. This is reflect in their price.

As the person has some familiarity with Linux, I didn't mention that Linux is usually free.

At our destination, he said he'd look into trying out Linux again.

My only regret is not having printed up personal business cards, which I'll remedy when I return to my Dell machine - I'm in the middle of migrating from a Dell GX60 to a Compaq D51C.