TP-WV422G V2.4 USB to WIFI Dongle.... Fix.

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sat Aug 28 01:45:52 UTC 2010

I've stopped Lurking for a while with this. Ubuntu 9.10 was a very bad
experience for me. Costly, very time consuming.

I thought I would give it one more try. so I put the 32 bit 10.04 and
the 64 Bit 10.04 on my Linux box. Wubi 10.04 on my Revo. Betbook remix
on my Acer Aspire one. Did all the upgrades, and Surprise!!! It still works!

I just put Ubuntu 10.05 on a Think Pad from the Win 98 days. 800 Mhz CPU
256 Meg Memory, 20 Gig Hard Drive, It took a little while but that went
OK too including all the Upgrades! Keep Up the Good Work Ubuntu!!!

We needed a USB to Wifi adapter, and I had used an Netgear N USB Wifi
adapter which worked seemingly OK. Then for the Think Pad I got a TP
Link TL-WB422G V2.4. It would not scan or connect and was just looking
like it would not work at all. I went on the Web and found:

http://dinthsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-was-fighting-to-run-tp-link-wn422g-v2.html

I did everything mentioned in this Blog, and developed a method for
doing it, because much of what to do was left out of the Blog, because,
the person writing it assumes that the person reading it is someone
knowing much more than they do. So going through the steps, I had to
confirm the step of getting the USB ID. Then Turned the Computer Off
then took the WN422G off the USB Port and Put the Netgear on it to be
able to download, because the netgear was going better than the WN422G.
Then I found this Page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsTP-Link

"Identified as 0cf3:1006, using command "sudo lsusb" .Start terminal:
applications/accessories/terminal. type in terminal, without quotes:
"sudo apt-get install ndisgtk", "sudo ndisgtk". Use xp drivers for
tl-wn422g, from cd. Link on the bottom. Path: TL-WN422G\Driver
Files\Win2K_XP\netathuw.inf. (md5sum: 10B3EA75CE9362CE9E908E71866BBDC2
athuw.sys, 990CF163377A312EC7AD07E493C029C0 netathuw.cat,
171795D09A6DB31103A9F39DF4270F5C netathuw.inf). After install, it says
hardware not present. Type in terminal, without quotes: "sudo
ndiswrapper -a 0cf3:1006 netathuw", "sudo ndiswrapper -m", "sudo
ndiswrapper -ma", "sudo ndiswrapper -mi". Restart pc. Source:
http://dinthsblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-was-fighting-to-run-tp-link-wn422g-v2.html.
Files:
http://rapidshare.com/files/398240699/drivers_tplink_tl-wn322gv3_4__tl-wn422g_v2_.zip.html
MD5: D0ED3370ED6ACEC429356E528B6E9E72 ,
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XGZ8KG3U. You can find version of device on
the box, near serial number."

The rapidshare File was Broken.

I was able to download the
...///drivers_tplink_tl-wn322gv3_4__tl-wn422g_v2_.zip.html from
www.megaupload.com/?d=XGZ8KG3U

The device version was 2.4. Using the method above I Installed this Win
2K_XP Driver into ndiswrapper. Then Paired the Driver with the device.
It seemed to work.  It scans now and connects, but it still disconnects
, and then does not work on Boot up unless you boot twice. So I ran the
Pairing again, this time there were two notes saying that two lines
needed to be deleted in the .conf file, but it is not real clear which
config file we are talking about. I looked at the contents of the
destinations given but could see no .config files. I tried to find
ndisgtk,cong or ndiswrapper.conf and could not find that either. I'm not
even sure if that is what I need to look for, because <ndiswrapper> with
the lines to take out. It seems just about all the USB to Wifi devices
are handled differently.

Has anyone out the in Canadian Ubuntu Forum Land done this fix for the
TP-WN422G that knows where, and how to remove the lines of the
????.config File. So that the device does not disconnect in a random manner.

Alfred!