lucid and screen resolution

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 19:40:32 UTC 2010

The problem I've found with have a laptop and external monitor or
dual-,tri-,quad- monitors is that you need to make them all the exact
same type of monitor or ones with the exact same resolution.

Why?

Well my Dell Mini 9 has a resolution of 1024x600 but can also display
at 800x600. My 22" external monitor can display at resolutions much
greater, but can't display at 1024x600 but can at 800x600, so when the
screens are cloned, it defaults to the greatest common denominator,
which in this case is 800x600.

As another example my laptop is older and can display at 1024x768 and
since my monitor can display that resolution, the greatest common
denominator is 1024x768, so that's the resolution I see on both. It's
stretched on my external widescreen of course, but I'm fine with it
just so I can see on a bigger screen.

If you're using extend-my-desktop, then I think my advise will be of no use.