Government computers et al

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 25 00:37:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 08:58:17AM -0700, Kenneth Hawkins wrote:
> The fundamental problem remains that computers have FAR MORE
> capabilities than are required for peoples' jobs, and added in the fact that the majority
> just want to get through their day by following a rote procedure. Even Windows
> & Mac are abject failures in this regard. For a work environment, the most efficient
> desktop I ever saw was on win3.1, using a custom desktop that only had the apps
> people needed for work, launched from icons on that desktop.
>
> KISS principle
>
> regards
> Ken

I'm in my 33rd year of working for Environment Canada. The backend has gone
from HP 9000 servers to linux except for a few Win2003 servers. Some
applicaton specific frontends are still on Win98 but most are on XP and
expecting to go to Windows 7 soon due to EOL for XP. But a few are linux. The desktop frontend is almost exclusively XP because of Outlook and Sharepoint, but also because "that's the way it has always been, and always will be". Our Chief Information Officer Branch is an empire unto themselves and is only interested in clamping down on users, not allowing them more freedom. For example, two years ago they decided to password protect the BIOS on new laptops being handed out so we couldn't go in and enable booting from CD/USB. Wouldn't want the employee using those pesky Live CDs.

The individual IT employee is tech savvy and linux loving. But the overall
corporate mood is very much against allowing free thinking and positive
change.

Jack Bowling