Online video for Canadians...

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:01:05 UTC 2010

The CBC are aware of the problem and unwilling to fix it.  From
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.5/+bug/455852

"Dear Paul,

We have checked with our technical staff, and unfortunately, as you
point out, the new Flash player we are installing does not work on
Linux systems. However it
does work on almost all other systems, including Windows and Mac. The
number of systems that could not see the video in our new player is
likely around the 1%
or less range.

We are not in a position to develop any workaround that would prevent
revenue from being generated when users watch video on cbc.ca. Funding
for CBC from
the government of Canada has not been growing, and the funds from
Parliament (less than $40 per Canadian taxpayer per year) only cover
part of the Corporations
broadcasting operations. I'm sorry you did not get an earlier response
from CBC."

Parker Bishop
Communication Assistant
CBC Audience Relations