Virus scanner

Leigh Honeywell leigh at hypatia.ca
Sun Sep 27 21:53:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 05:12:02PM -0400, R. Wood wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't state for sure that what you are getting are false positives,
> but that thread we read would seem to suggest so.  For example:
>   "NOTE: A detection as PUA does NOT tell if a application is good or
>   bad.  All it says is, that a file MAYBE unwanted or MAYBE could
>   compromise your system security and it MAYBE a good idea to check it
>   twice."
> Also, PUA = Potentially Unwanted Applications
>
> The thread also gives some instructions for turning off PUA detection if
> you decide that is what you want to do.
>
> Perhaps others on this mailing list have ideas also?

Sure can :)

The detection "PUA.Script.Packed" is very likely a packed / obfuscated
JavaScript file from a webpage Raymond visited.  You see this kind of
file both on legitimate websites which have been infected, as well as
actively malicious sites.  The most common thing they lead to these days
is the "fake antivirus" malware like Antivirus 2009 and its bretheren.

So yeah... not strictly an FP... but not worth worrying over on Linux.

-Leigh