Codecs on Medibuntu.com?

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sun Sep 13 11:10:14 UTC 2009

Hi All:

I downloaded some E seminars which turned out to be formatted in Mpeg 4
AAC. I could see the video, but there was no sound. I remembered that
Medibuntu had some codecs for this format, so I went to the Ubuntu Info
Page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu It gave details on how
to download files from Medibuntu, which I had forgotten, it was a few
versions ago, last time I used it.

Then I added the repository for Ubuntu 9.04, as per the line of Code
for it in the Ubuntu Official Page for Medibuntu.

I downloaded a few package files. Real Player was one of them, and a
Package file for Mpeg 4 AAC Sound. Then went to use Gdebi to get all
the Dependencies, that were needed for each Package file from
Medibuntu. An error came up and said that the Package list was broken,
and that this was a major error. I checked into what sort of error it
was, and the >>>sudo wget
http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/jaunty.list
--output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list<<< was an html
file of 1.6 Kb, that could not be read. This got put into a folder at
the beginning of the sources.list, the rest of the list of sources is
still there, but because of this error it does not get read.

I'm thinking that if I remove the folder, after removing the added
repository from Medibuntu, then that might fix the problem, because as
it stands, no package manager is able to work now, and the sources.list
can not be upgraded either.

Little movies from my Cellphone also have
the problem of not being able to produce sound, I can see the video,
but no sound. Quicktime is supposed to make it work, but I never got it
to work yet.

Is this the right way to go about it, or is there, a need to do this in
an other way.

TIA - Thanks in Advance

Alfred!