Linux replacement for Windows Domain Server

Kenneth Hawkins kjurkic at yahoo.ca
Wed Nov 25 17:47:10 UTC 2009

Howdy

If you are looking for a full solution (domain logins,profiles, shared folders, home folders, printing) then a dedicated distro such as ClarkConnect (http://www.clarkconnect.com) or their new iteration ClearOS (http://www.clearos.com)

I have used variations of ClarkConnect for almost a decade now, starting with replacing NT4 servers. The admin interface can be a bit obtuse at times, but the installs have always been rock solid reliable for me. I am currently using it as a domain controller for over 100 users. I have had nothing but grief vis-a-vis profiles, including in pure Windows LAN's, so if you need them, I cannot swear by that feature.

I am sure all this could be replicated in Ubuntu.
These folks - http://www.turnkeylinux.org/domain-controller
offer a domain controller appliance. It downloads as an iso but might be intended as a virtual guest (I currently use a couple of their offerings, and they are quite good).
 Most of their applainces are Ubuntu based IIRC

HTH
regards
Ken