WUBI and 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Fri Nov 13 16:04:06 UTC 2009

Leigh Honeywell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:37:16AM -0500, Russell McOrmond wrote:
>>   I'm going to try again with the 64 bit just to be curious, but I'm
>> wondering if anyone else has seen this?  Is this something that should
>> be reported as a bug?
>
> Definitely worth bugreporting.  I've only ever run 32-bit wubi, and a
> quick googling of your issue didn't turn anything up.

  The issue turnout to be more odd than I thought.   I filed the bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/482195

"I have detected an unusual edge case. If I try to install Ubuntu 9.10
for AMD64, and set the installation size to 30G I end up with only
seeing the grub prompt when I finally get to the stage of booting Ubuntu
(IE: after the installer is finished after rebooting the first time).

If I cat the grub.cfg file I only see <0>'s (nulls).

If I set the installation size to 29G or below, Ubuntu boots perfectly.

If I use 32 bit Ubuntu instead of the amd64 version, Ubuntu boots perfectly.

I tried reinstalling multiple times and it consistently worked for sizes
29G and below, and consistently failed setting to 30G."

  I'm wondering if someone who has an AMD64 based Windows machine lying
around could become the steward of this bug.  I don't plan to keep
Windows on this machine past today, and thus if someone comes up with a
potential fix I won't be of much use.

> Definitely a good idea to give her 32-bit - there are just enough
> papercuts left with 64 that it's worth keeping newbie-ish users on 32.

  I plan to upgrade my current desktop soon anyway, and may choose
similar hardware.  I'll move to 64bit myself and see how well that is
maturing.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"