WUBI and 64 bit Ubuntu 9.10?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Thu Nov 12 15:37:16 UTC 2009

  I have a new machine that came with Windows XP pre-installed.  Before
I wipe it I wanted to check out WUBI  http://wubi-installer.org/ to see
how that works as I've been asked about it before.

  In my first attempt I ran wubi.exe and it downloaded the 64 bit Ubuntu
9.10.  I rebooted and chose Ubuntu and it did the post-install stuff.
I rebooted again and after choosing Ubuntu I ended up at a Grub prompt.
 I looked for /boot/grub/grub.cfg and it existed but doing a 'cat
/boot/grub/grub.cfg' showed only <0> (IE: nulls) where the file should
have been.

  I uninstalled Wubi and tried again, this time doing 'wubi --32bit'  .
 Everything went fine, and I got a nice duel/dual boot WindowsXP and
Ubuntu 9.10 machine.

  I'm going to try again with the 64 bit just to be curious, but I'm
wondering if anyone else has seen this?  Is this something that should
be reported as a bug?   Are there people who normally use Windows that
would like to take the lead on this so I can just wipe the windows and
set this machine up properly (IE: Ubuntu only -- and likely 32 bit given
this machine will be used by my mom and I don't want her to have to deal
with some of the oddities I hear about 64 bit support).

Thanks.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"