Kubuntu 9.10 is ususable for me :( am I alone?

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:57:18 UTC 2009

I couldn't find your Fujitsu Sylistic 5020D on the Ubuntu hardware
compatibility list (http://www.ubuntuhcl.org). It also doesn't show up much
on the Linux on Laptops website (
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/fujitsu.html).

Therefore I suspect that you would have to make some pretty severe
work-arounds.

On the topic of Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala), it's one of my best
installations so far. I stayed with 8.04 (Hardy Heron) for over a year since
the upgrade to 8.10 was a complete mess. When 9.04 came out I did a clean
install and that was good. My wireless setup on 8.04 was using ndiswrapper
and Windows XP drivers, however with 9.04 came out, the Broadcom card in my
Dell Latitude D620 needed a few steps to add the restricted drivers
required.

This installation of 9.10 was seamless. After a complete backup, I wiped the
system clean with a fresh install. All hardware devices were successfully
detected. I had to manually install the Broadcom wireless drivers and the
nVidia video drivers but they're in synaptic and easy to install. Once the
nVidia drivers were installed, compiz was a breeze to setup.

I'm now working on getting some of the more esoteric customisations working.
For example, I had ffmpeg converting to AAC. The ffmpeg that's in the
repositories is broken not to include proprietary formats and so to get
support for AAC/MP4, you have to compile it. I also develop with php and
need Oracle support so this has to be manually done.

All in all, it will take a few days to get everything the way I want it but
I have a really good feeling that I won't be going back to 9.04!

One quick word on Kubuntu. I've tried it in the past but it "appears" quite
heavy to me. I've always suspected that the main attraction to Kubuntu is
it's MS-Windows-like look and feel. I've been told that there's a lot better
integration with the Kubuntu applications but that doesn't really concern me
since the apps I use are mainstream Linux apps, not tied to a window
manager. I'll probably take Kubuntu for a spin on a separate machine that I
have and see how it's changed since I last saw it.

Cheers!

Andrew.