Firewalls and virus scaners?

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Mon May 25 17:32:48 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Courtenay W <hd_sheena at shaw.ca>
To: ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Firewalls and virus scaners?
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:27:20 -0600
Mailer: Evolution 2.26.1

Hey,
Relatively new to linux/ubuntu (about 9 months now), currently running
9.04.
This is the first I've heard suggested to get a firewall and virus
scanner. I realize there is always some risk of hack/malware, but my
impression was that linux is seriously less at risk than, say, Windows.
Am I wrong? Should I be running regular virus scans, as I did on
Windows?
Thanks,
Courtenay W
Calgary AB

I did a Virus scan one day and there were 52 Things. My computer was
acting up the way Windows would. So I do them now and then. I bought
something in Britain via Internet, and there was a virus installed while
I made the transaction. I down loaded a file Gnome Reset, well two
downloaded, one was a Phishing Malware. So Yes you need to do these
things. Linux is not Bullet proof, anymore. I Also had a Keylogger put
on my Machine, I got rid of that too. It keeps a record of all your
Keystrokes, and they can get your Passwords from that, Credit Card
numbers, all sorts of things, so Again Yes!

Alfred!