Back to Mint

Andrew Mathenge mathenge at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:41:08 UTC 2009

I did a clean install of Jaunty (9.04) and everything worked well for
me this time. The nVidia driver is a restricted driver that needs to
be enabled. It won't install by default.

In my case, what happened is that the hardware wizard came up after
the install and told me that I needed two additional drivers. One for
the nVidia card and another for my broadcom wireless card.

Try booting off the live-CD and then going to
system>>Administration>>Hardware Drivers

See if the Live-CD is setting them up for you by default. If that's
the case, you can try a hard disk install and manually enable the
nVidia driver.

One last thing, my previous version was 8.04 (hardy). I tried
upgrading to 8.10 (Intrepid) and that was unsuccessful so I stayed
with Hardy until the Jaunty release. So far my experience with Jaunty
has been good otherwise I would have reverted to Hardy. Jaunty is the
first Ubuntu release to successfully detect my wireless card and
prompt me for driver install.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude D620.

Andrew.