How can I make dual boot between Ubuntn and Austrumi linux work?

geo yaktur at yahoo.com
Sun May 3 13:55:30 UTC 2009

Hi

I use Ubuntu for the main computer workload but I also like Austrumi linux. It's a nice layout.

I have a 40 gig drive to contain my system (mount point "/") and the Home folder is on a separate 100 gig drive.

I tried this last night, I resized the 40 gig drive which contains
Ubuntu, down to about 20 gig, I kept 1.5 gig in reserve for Swap, and
proportioned the remaining for installing Austrumi.

So my drive map looks like:

/dev/sda1 is mount point "/"

/dev/sda3 is mount point "/austrumi" (Austrumi apparently requires a reiserfs format)

/dev/sdb1 is mount point "/home" (this is the separate 100 gig drive for all user accounts).
Now from what I can see, Austrumi installs only with LILO. And Ubuntu installs only with GRUB.

Unfortunately when I installed Austrumi, it overwrote something on the hard drive so I could no longer get to GRUB.

I booted from the Ubuntu live CD and tried to reinstall GRUB,
following whatever I could research and find but to no avail, I
couldn't revive GRUB. I ended up having to reinstall Ubuntu all over
again. :(

Now I have Ubuntu back. But I cannot access Austrumi in it's partition at all. :(

If Austrumi cannot work with GRUB, is there any way I can make
Ubuntu work with LILO?
How can I make these two dance together without
isolating one another? Both have very nice features and certainly there
is no lack of resource on my system.

My problem boils now down to a conflict between one system requiring
LILO to install and the other requiring GRUB. How do I resolve this
please?
Thanks.