who for ftp

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Mar 31 22:33:26 UTC 2009

Andrew Mathenge wrote:
> They must appear on the process list. How about "ps aux" Have you
> tried that. You can filter for SSH using:
>
> ps aux | grep "ssh"
>
> Andrew.
Hi Andrew:

ps aux | grep ssh
ps aux | grep ftp

both show that ssh or ftp is running, but doesn't tell me who's logged in.

mcr at simtone.net wrote:
 > You can read /var/log/auth.log
 > who only shows people currently logged in anyway.
 > "last" may or may not tell you anything

I think I can get the info out of auth.log, but that's going to take
some logfile parsing to eliminate all the doorknob-rattlers trying to
break in, and to remove the logged-out connections.

grep opened /var/log/auth.log | grep sshd

is a start.  Doesn't appear to show the SFTP or SCP sessions, tho.

I'll keep at it.  Further suggestions are welcome...

--Bob.