begging for help

Ryan Steele rgsteele at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:24:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Kenneth Hawkins <kjurkic at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Thanks Andy
>
> I wish I was even this far along (to do queries). I can't even import a
> basic ldif to populate my LDAP, without running into errors.
>
> Here's an example:

snip

> bmsadmin at LDAP:/root$ sudo slapadd -l init.ldif
> /etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 114: rootdn is always granted unlimited
> privileges.
> /etc/ldap/slapd.conf: line 131: rootdn is always granted unlimited
> privileges.
> str2entry: invalid value for attributeType objectClass #1 (syntax
> 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.38)
> slapadd: could not parse entry (line=7)
>
> So I opened the source file (ldif):
>
> 1:    dn:     dc=bms,dc=bc,dc=ca
> 2:    objectClass:    dcObject
> 3:    objectClass:    organizationalUnit
> 4:    dc:     bms
> 5:    ou:     Bamfield Marine Science Centre
> 6:
> 7:    dn:     cn=admin,dc=bms,dc=bc,dc=ca *****nothing wrong with this line
> AFAICT
> 8:    objectClass:    simpleSecurityObject

Judging by the error message, it looks like the issue is actually with
line 8. Not sure if that's because slapadd uses zero-indexed line
numbers or if it skips blank lines.

I'm not an OpenLDAP expert, so I can't provide any specific
assistance, but I found this document, which might be more up-to-date
than the wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html

Ryan Steele - rgsteele at gmail.com