Belkin wireless internet sharing on Ubuntu 8.04

Ryan Steele rgsteele at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 18:57:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:33 PM, geo <yaktur at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to configure my Linux computer to serve as a sharing point in the
> house for wireless internet.
>
> I have a newly bought Belkin Wireless G Desktop card installed. And so far
> the only driver support I found is through Ndiswrapper to run the WinXP
> driver for it. I'd like to find a Linux native driver for it.
>
> I need also to be able to take the cable internet coming in by Ethernet and
> branch it off via his Belkin wireless card so the upstairs computer (running
> XP Home) can access internet by it's own wireless device.
>
> So far Firestarter only says the card isn't ready. I don't know why that is
> so. Ndiswrapper claims it is ok?
>
> Can anyone offer assistance?

There is a database of wireless cards that work with Ubuntu here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

You can look up your particular model and see what is required to get
it working.

I would advise that if the card does not have native Linux drivers
available, and you are able to exchange it for another one, do that.
Life is too short to try getting hardware running on Linux with
Windows drivers. Plus, it sends a message to the manufacturer: stuff
that doesn't work out of the box with Linux gets returned to the
store, and they don't want that.

Ryan Steele - rgsteele at gmail.com