Looking for new business oportunities

Robert Hodgins ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Sun Mar 1 13:13:31 UTC 2009

>   But I wanted to comment on this one, as it has been a sore spot with
> me for decades:

> > IANAL, but if you are a part of an organization using illegal stuff,
> > aren't you not perhaps guilty of something else, as well?
>
>   IANAL, but unfortunately employees are not held legally liable.

I didn't know that. Thank you.

>   In fact, we live in a culture where it is considered rude to even
> bring up the fact that an organization is clearly breaking the law with
> absolutely no justification.  Someone claiming they can't afford to pay
> for the software is an illegitimate claim when legally free alternatives
> exist.

Many individuals like to justify theft on the grounds that the software
publishers are "unfair" in some way and, therefore, invite theft. That's
the old "Victim hits back" story.

> If they were being honest they would admit that they were
> breaking the law because they were lazy, and they are undeserving of any
> sympathy.

Agreed.

>   I'm hoping that the software support/consulting community will
> eventually come forward with an ethics statement.  With the right
> marketing campaign it can be something that customers look for as a
> positive thing, such that they will know that hiring someone who doesn't
> honour the ethics statement should be treated as a threat to their
> organisation.

That could make a useful marketing tool. Maybe, provide some sort of
enticement like: The file formats we use won't lock you in.