Sharepoint equiv for Linux

Tim Webster tdwebste at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 18:45:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:57 AM, <mcr at simtone.net> wrote:

>     Timothy> Yes I agree git is over kill for the document
>    Timothy> repository. It was done after I lost our svn document
>    Timothy> repository and need to setup a remote live backup in Hong
>    Timothy> Kong. The other thing that moved me from svn to git is
>    Timothy> gitosis. It is so easy to add repositories with the
>    Timothy> appropriate user access control. This can be done with svn,
>    Timothy> but it is more cumbersom.
>
>  I too do not trust SVN's "fsfs" or "db" backends, and I'd prefer to
> use git in the backend.  I worry that it's too powerful for PHBs.
>
>    Timothy> I wish TortoiseGIT was better or git cola worked on our
>
>  I too.
>
>    Timothy> I would really love it, if odt files where each mini
>    Timothy> repostories. I have thought about creating plugins to unzip
>    Timothy> the odt files making this so. There are a number of
>
>  I asked years ago to make 'save-as XML-directory" a standard part of
> OO. There was a plugin for this, but it required too much effort to get
> installed.
>  If that were done, then the files would be flat text...

This would be good if linux/windows had the concept of a file is a
directory.
Otherwise I must agree with the decision of storing file bundles as OO does.

It is reasonably easy to write git hooks to unzip these bundles.

The other parts to make this work which are harder for me, the diffxml and
writing a plugin that
converts file saves into commits.

The nice thing about git is merging is simply pulling another tree. And if
the tree is already published,  pull --rebase.

I love git topic trees!!

I am moving from the large repositories we had with svn to many very small
trees with git. I keep setting more and more tools to the that all the time.
This is very much a work in progress for me.

>    Timothy> Personally I am not much of fan of ptty. I much prefer
>    Timothy> cygwin ssh. Unfortuately this still a process that must
>    Timothy> occure to setup windows clients, which I wish was more
>    Timothy> automated than it currently is.
>
>  cygwin ssh takes even more junk to make it work.
>  With the "portal putty" versions, you can mostly make things work from
> a USB stick.... once Tortoise has installed it's DLL into exploder.

We each have our own workflow and as result our tool preferences. I prefer
cygwin namely because I also configure clients with sshd, dynamic dns and
ssh tunnels when required. I found users don't seem to remember to pull
first. Complete network centric documents are easier, but don't work well
with interment network access as typical when travelling. Clients with sshd
are poked to pull updates they are watching.
I know there are better ways to alert the clients to pull, but just have got
around to it.