Rogers ZTE mf 636 usb modem

Ralph Pichie thevillagegeek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:32:56 UTC 2009

I managed to get the thing working, but not without considerable
grief. The sales staff, who only deal with Windows and the occasional
Mac, forgot to give me the user name and password for the network,
which is hidden by the Windows software. I managed to get that and the
necessary connection strings from Rogers tech support. If you skip the
Windows part of the process, you don't get the correct responses to
terminal commands like lsusb or ls /dev/usb*

Here are the contents of my wvdial.conf file

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB2
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Baud = 460800
Dial Attempts = 1
Password = "your password"
Username = "your username"
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT&F &D2 &C1
Init3 = ATS7=60 S30=0 S0=0
Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.com"
Phone = *99#
Stupid Mode = 1

These are the correct settings for Rogers. I believe the user name and
password are the same for all of the users, but I could be wrong.

Make sure to have the correct settings in this file, and other places
like network manager > Mobile Broadband

I had to disable wireless to stop autoconnect to OGWIFI, which was
insisting on redirecting my requests for web pages, even though I was
trying to connect by Rogers. Normally I would prefer the free wifi,
but not when testing.