NFS mount issue

mcr at simtone.net mcr at simtone.net
Mon Jun 15 16:09:54 UTC 2009

    Darryl> Hey all. Any pros on NFS out there?

Yes.

    Darryl> I'm trying to put together a setup for laptops such that
    Darryl> when the laptop is connected to the network the network
    Darryl> mounted NFS /home directory will appear, but when the laptop
    Darryl> is away from the network, the local /home directory will
    Darryl> appear.

Okay, but it's gonna be a major pain.
Instead, I strongly suggest that you create new mount /net/nethome/foo
or something, and put some symlinks in /home that point there.

There are few to no mechanisms to synchronize things like GNOME
settings, etc. between the places, so those things likely remain on your
local /home.  I suggest an hourly cron job that wakes up, sees if
/net/nethome/foo/backups exists, and copies/rsync's /home/foo to it.

    Darryl> I tried having two seperate home directories specified in
    Darryl> the authentication system. I.E. /home/user in the network
    Darryl> LDAP server, but /local_home/user in the laptop passwd

  Two home directories are just not supported.

    Darryl> This should move the local home tree to /home where we want
    Darryl> to see it when there is no network. It will also move
    Darryl> server:/export/home to the same place when the network is
    Darryl> present. This way (hopefully) preference is given to the
    Darryl> server home directory, but the local home directory will
    Darryl> still be accessible.

  It will confuse users and piss them off because they won't be able to
find things.
  I do not recommend doing this.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr at simtone.net>
Director -- Consumer Desktop Development, Simtone Corporation, Ottawa, Canada

SIMtone Corporation fundamentally transforms computing into simple,
secure, and very low-cost network-provisioned services pervasively
accessible by everyone.  Learn more at www.simtone.net and www.SIMtoneVDU.com