Small Business distribution

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Sun Jun 14 16:21:46 UTC 2009

Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> Darryl Moore wrote:
>
>> Thanks Pedro, that looks very promising. I was also pointed to
>> http://www.contribs.org by someone else who made a private reply. Both
>> look great, unfortunately both also are targeted at windows
>> environments. I need something that is for a native Linux network.
>>
>> I'm going to look into seeing if ebox can be patched to make it work
>> better on a native Linux network, it looks to be a little closer to my
>> ultimate goal.
>>
>> cheers,
>> darryl
>>

>> Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:

>>> Have you looked into e-box (http://ebox-platform.com/)? It is
>>> Ubuntu-based and comes with a web interface for admin functions that
>>> facilitate installing/uninstalling software.
>>>
>>> You can extend e-box to cover any software that you want via a plugin
>>> architecture. In this way, rather than spending time in developing your
>>> own scripts to manage software you could contribute plugins to the e-box
>>> project.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, my approach to SME's would have different components,
>>> each likely being a self-contained solution, with integration services
>>> becoming an added value for my services company:
>>>
>>> o Network component (firewall, NAT, VPN, DNS, DHCP, etc.),
>>> o VoIP component (asterisk, freeswitch, etc.),
>>> o Application server component (mail, collaboration, LDAP, CRM, etc.),
>>> o Client component (OO, mail client, etc.).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

> Why do you say that e-box is targeted at Windows environments? It is a
> server, not a client, and it seems to me it fits well the "Application
> Server Component" I talked about before, even in a Linux-only environment.

It only supports SMB file sharing, not NFS. That makes using Unix file
permissions rather difficult. I'm not sure how it handles groups and
domains yet, but they too are probably windows domains and groups, I
don't know if they would be mirrored in unix groups too.  There are no
modules for handling repository mirrors, or Linux Terminal Servers. It
does use OpenVPN instead of PPTP though, which is good.

I'm not sure all the ways that it is designed for Windows networks yet.
but having SMB and no option for NFS is a big one, and certainly
identifies where their focus is.

cheers,
darryl