software updates

Kirk Bridger kbridger at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 13 05:08:21 UTC 2009

Just for future reference, when I see Update Manager not allowing me to
actually install some updates it is typically because some dependency
isn't available or the upgrade involves some serious package management
like uninstalling things.

Typically if I open up Synaptic it allows me to upgrade properly
provided it is not a missing dependency.  Typically Upgrade Manager
warns you about "partial upgrades" when a dependency isn't available.

So next time try opening Synaptic and see if you can upgrade there,
rather than uninstalling and reinstalling packages manually.  Hopefully
it works a little better for you.

Kirk