software updates

Timothy Webster tdwebste2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 11:09:58 UTC 2009

Is this a disk problem?

Please check for disk errors in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages
the file may vary according to your specific configuration of syslog

Also please consider smartmontools
aptitude install smartmontools

gvim /etc/default/smartmontools
edit so that smartmontools is started with init.d

a quick health check
smartctl -HA /dev/sda

detail info
smartctl -a /dev/sda

to run an extensive test
smartctl -t long /dev/sda

---------
warning smart may or may not provide early warning of disk problems.
log files always indicate when problems are occurring.