software updates

Doug Stewart doug.dastew at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 02:29:40 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Ryan Steele <rgsteele at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Doug Stewart<doug.dastew at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> If the output isn't clear, then do sudo aptitude install libmlt-data
> >> and you'll get the whole story.
> >
> > Thanks Brian. That worked and got it installed, but my system freezes up
> > still.
> > I will have to look deeper.
>
> You didn't say anything about your system freezing up in the previous
> email. Have you tried running a memory test?
>
> When you boot your computer, press Esc when you see the line that says
> "Grub loading, please wait". Scroll down to Ubuntu, memtest86+ and
> press Enter, and a memory test will start running. Let it run at least
> until one pass has completed. If after that the number under "Errors"
> says anything other than 0, it is likely you have faulty RAM
> installed.

You are correct I did not mention my problem.

Here is the background details:
I was running ubuntu 8.4 foe 1 year and had all working OK. My daughter
bought a laptop for University stuff so we put ubuntu 9.04  on it. (she /we
love ubuntu). Then I decided to upgrade to 9.04 on my desk top computer. I
read the instructions to upgrade to 8.10 and then to 9.04, and I did that.
Since the upgrade and never before the upgrade, the machine has randomly
crashed in a frozen state, like it is in an infinite loop.

If I am watching a video the sound goes funny then stops and the screen
freezes and there is no keyboard response. the Box temperature goes up
slowly like the CPU is working at 100%.

Without Firefox running it does not freeze. It seems to be related to videos
on firefox.

I am not really asking for help, but if you have an idea I will try it.

Doug In London Ont.

PS Is there others on here from London?