OT - DSL providers Ottawa

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Thu Jun 4 18:21:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Ralph Pichie wrote:

> Anyone had experience with Storm for DSL in the Ottawa area?

   I have a Storm DSL and a Teksavvy DSL (Via NCF.ca) into my home.   For
Teksavvy it is on my regular Bell POTS line (Which I plan to switch to
Teksavvy as well when I get a "round tuit"), and for Storm it is on a
so-called "dry loop".  I have IPv4 static IP addresses routed to each
of them.

   Both are actual ISP's. I don't consider phone or cable companies to be
ISPs as they are in a conflict of interest, and will always fail in
providing proper ISP services for reasons documented in "The Innovators
Dilemma".

> setup, as I don't have a land line. I've heard TekSavvy isn't bad
> either, but I hope to save a few days by picking up the equipment from
> a locally-based provider, which the latter is apparently not.

   I believe NCF resells preconfigured routers from their office.   I don't
personally know as in both cases I am using a DSL modem plugged into a
Linux router.  I may upgrade to a DSL router (IE: router that has the DSL
modem built in) at some point in the future if I can get one I can flash
Linux into.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"