Sharepoint equiv for Linux

Timothy Webster tdwebste2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 16:34:46 UTC 2009

Yes I agree git is over kill for the document repository. It was done after I lost our svn document repository and need to setup a remote live backup in Hong Kong. The other thing that moved me from svn to git is gitosis. It is so easy to add repositories with the appropriate user access control. This can be done with svn, but it is more cumbersom.

I wish TortoiseGIT was better or git cola worked on our windows machines. The TortoiseSVN gui is what we miss most on the windows machines. To compensate I really enjoy the ability to write git plugins an triger remote synchronzation. The fact that most document files treated as binary files further limis git's powerful repository abilities. Repositories with primary binary files don't branch or merge well.

I would really love it, if odt files where each mini repostories. I have thought about creating plugins to unzip the odt files making this so. There are a number of powerful xmldiff tools out there that can handle the internal odt files. The engine used for deltaxml is a good candidate.

Personally I am not much of fan of ptty. I much prefer cygwin ssh. Unfortuately this still a process that must occure to setup windows clients, which I wish was more automated than it currently is.

-Tim