Remix Mono and Windows

Mr. C clark c_dive at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:06:49 UTC 2009

I tried 4 times to post no luck

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:19:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Remix Mono and Windows
From: tom.mckay1 at gmail.com
To: ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com

This is ridiculous and fear mongering. Can we overlook the fact that microsoft conceptualized C# and see things for how they really  are? EVERYTHING has a patent, including FOSS concepts. Where the line of legality is depends on the license. Here, we have the GPL, among others, which extend very defined and specific rights to those who use the patented software. What microsoft has done with C# was to "license" the C# patents by standardizing the language and by issuing an irrevocable promise not to claim action against those who use C#. Having a patent is great, but when you give away your angle to capitalize on it, it is simply symbolic.

All this fuss is simply ill-conceived by folks who believe (validly or not), that microsoft is hell-bent on destroying open source software. Is it not possible for microsoft to contribute something as well? Perhaps they developed it to make it easier for developers to implement multi platform software, and that their intentions were completely selfish. The issue I believe most nay-sayers have with mono is that it breaks down the exclusivity of linux applications, diminishing the heft needed to convert people.

I would say quite a few must have applications in linux are mono based, and it scares the trolls half to death. The worst case scenario I can think of involve a new edition of C#'s license changing (ie the promise does not apply). Even then, all of us over here at linux would be free to continue developing mono in a parallel white room or as a fork, because the promise would still apply.

Take this however you may, but linux would not be what it is today without microsoft.
I don't believe the original author has done anybody any services by scaring the less-informed users on this mailing list. Mono is NOT a virus, a trojan, or any other malware, it is completely benign, save for a theoretical future legal hassle (of no consequence to you, keep using the software you enjoy until that day comes, if it does at all, maybe).
Tom McKay