Package repository switched to Debian

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Tue Jul 14 20:33:26 UTC 2009

Hi all:  While working on my 8.04 server and fooling around with
dselect, the package repositories for apt-get got switched to
http://http.us.debian.org  I'm not sure what I did to make this happen,
but the box began to download and install over a gigabyte of updates.  I
was afraid to make it stop partway through, so I let it complete.  That
seems to have been a good choice, as everything still works.

Typing (as root) 'cat /proc/version' reports:

  Linux version 2.6.24-23-386 (buildd at palmer) (gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu
4.2.4-1ubuntu3))

which appears normal to me, but typing 'apache2ctl status' now shows

  Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny3 with Suhosin-Patch

which almost certainly seems wrong.  I'm sure there are other things
wrong too, but I just haven't found them yet.

So, do I need to put the repositories back to
http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/ubuntu/ ?  If so, can I just edit
/etc/apt/sources.list ?  What are the repercussions of leaving it as is?

Thanx,
--Bob.