Ubuntu 9.04 write problems with Network Accessible Storage Device

Kirk Bridger kbridger at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 14 05:10:49 UTC 2009

I've just bought (around Christmas) the same unit and used to mount it
via CIFS as well.  I found the permission thing to be very strange and
unpredictable, often seeing strange read/write combinations.

The problem as I found it was that the mount command and the DNS-323 use
different users/groups from one another.  So even though the local
system looks to be mounted by a particular user the DNS-323 system is
slightly different.  I'm assuming you're configuring the DNS-323 through
the web interface which doesn't allow a lot of flexibility?

Here's the mount command I was using in fstab:

//192.168.0.2/pictures /media/Photos cifs
auto,iocharset=utf8,noperm,uid=xxx,gid=yyy,credentials=/root/.cifscredentials
0 0

The key was the noperm option.  I understand that this is a workaround
for some samba versions to just ignore permissions whenever possible.  I
believe this got rid of the perm problems, however I moved on to NFS
since CIFS purports to support hard links but does not.  Remember that
you're stuck with the samba server version running on the DNS-323.

NFS you say?  Did you know that your DNS-323 is running a linux kernel
that allows hacking?  You can hack it with minimal to no risk to your
device, and install a lot of additional software including an NFS
server, ssh access, etc.

If you're interested, here's the wiki with the info (1) and the
installation doc I followed to get it working (2).  It literally
involves copying a few files to your device and rebooting it - no risk.
Pretty awesome stuff.  NFS is a different beast than samba but allows
hard links, making the NAS a much nicer incremental backup device.

Let me know if you have any questions about the fun_plug.  I've dabbled
with it minimally, but am always willing to help.

Kirk

1 - http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:fun_plug
2 - http://nas-tweaks.net/CH3SNAS:Tutorials/fun_plug