Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Tue Jul 7 01:07:46 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: lee <leewen at primus.ca>
To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 08:25:05 -0400
Mailer: Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 (X11/20090608)

Alfred wrote:
> Hi -All:
>
> I un-checked all Internet Software Sources in Software Sources under all
> that Tabs that listed them. I had Add CD Pressed under ADD CD, and read
> in successively each DVD from the 8 DVD set. From DVD 2 to DVD 8 Shows
> up in the Third Party List, after it read the Index Files on Each DVD,
> then I made sure there were check marks in front of each CD/DVD in that
> list.
>
> In Synaptic however, the indexes from the read CD/DVD's do not show up
> in the list of software available. So I can't very well select some
> software on a CD/DVD, and then stick in the DVD that it is on, and have
> it loaded from the DVD Repository. I asked thelinuxstore.org, for this
> info, the Commands to use, but no reply came.
>
> Is there a Package Manager that can work with CD/DVD Repositories in
> Terminal Mode, because when I reviewed the ISO files of the 8 DVD's all
> the Software on the Ubuntu 9.04 Repositories is on them, approx 32 Gigs
> of Software.
>
> What keywords would be useful for doing a search on Ubuntu to find out
> how to make use of such a Package Manager, in Terminal. I know APT and
> Aptitude can have CDROM words attached to them, Beginning Ubuntu Linux
> Keir Thomas Book, does not have much info on this, or perhaps I'm
> reading in the wrong place.
>
> Any Suggestions would be helpful -
>
> Tia
>
> Alfred!
>

> just one question after you put each cd/dvd in did you do a reload the repo list. As synaotic uses a data base stored on the computer it read that data base for files.

Lee

Hi Lee:

> just one question after you put each cd/dvd in did you do a reload the
repo list. As synaptic uses a data base stored on the computer it read
that data base for files.

In 9.04 it wants to check the Software sources list just about every
minute of the day, even when I unchecked all the things having to do
with updates, Synaptic does not seem to remember what Software is on the
DVDs repository, it tries to get the software from the Internet every
time. I turned off my Modem, and then it comes up with Failed to fetch,
when the programs are on the DVD Repository. I did not reload the repo
list as I was sticking in the DVD's. The information did not quite get
into the list of Sources, So I removed from the list line by line what
it had read in before, from the DVD's then I used in terminal sudo
apt-cdrom add, for each disk, and that put all the information into the
Third Party Software sources list. Then it came up with a dialogue box
saying that my software list was out of date and I needed to Check it. I
did that, and then there were 174 Repositories, and it crashed before
getting to 174, and looking at the output all the CDROM listings in
Software Sources in Terminal had 0 for data. Hope this answers your
Question.

I've inquired about getting some paid help with this, so I can get my
Video card working, and be able to make Internet Downloads again too.

Alfred!