Upgrades sometimes flawed

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 24 03:22:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 02:41:19PM -0400, Eric Cyr wrote:
> hunh....good to know
>
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Eric Cyr <1ballistic1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Don't think I've ever used gksudo with gedit....always worked fine for me
> >
> > I only learned of the difference recently:
> >
> >   http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

gksudo is an alias to gksu which is the actual executable.

Re. the "upgrades break things" thread: unfortunately true. But Corey is
right. Canonical is bound by its 6-month release policy so it must get
something out the door on a regular basis. This will inevitably mean that
large changes to various underpinnings (think pulseaudio) will necessarily
mean breakage to some systems. This is just something we have to live with.
Canonical uses the Debian repos as a base but does not espouse their
release policy (or non-release policy as the case may be).

Jack