Upgrades sometimes flawed

George Borusiewich v.g.borus at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 21 19:06:04 UTC 2009

In the last two days, I've sent in one rant and one explanation. Now
that I feel better, I will now humbly ask for help. As I've stated, I
upgraded (full install)  from Linux Mint 5 (Ubuntu 8.04) to Linux Mint 6
(Ubuntu 8.10). My floppy drive, which worked under Mint 5, does not work
under Mint 6. According to an Ubuntu website, this is due to a bug in
Ubuntu 8.10 (bug #255651). From this site and 2 others, it seems that
the floppy drive module is not being loaded. The solution being offered
is to "add the module floppy  to /etc/modules and then modify the fstab
file to automount the floppy." Being a noobie this means absolutely
nothing to me. I have no experience with working in a terminal. May I
ask if someone can explain to me in simple language what I have to do to
get my floppy drive working again? George Borusiewich