Upgrades sometimes flawed

George Borusiewich v.g.borus at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 21 16:21:45 UTC 2009

I wrote a rant yesterday about linux upgrades occasionally introducing
problems which weren't there in an earlier version. Several people
responded, some sympathetically, some not. One response was to stay with
the earlier version that worked. If everyone did that, then there would
be no need for newer (improved?) versions. My sound card, which worked
in Ubuntu 6.04, 6.10, 7.04, 7.10, stopped working in Ubuntu 8.04. I
tried to get it working for 6 months, with no luck. It didn't work in
Ubuntu 8.10 either. I switched to Linux Mint 5, and with luck, got my
sound card working. Upgraded to Linux Mint 6. My floppy drive stopped
working and the sound work-around that I used in Mint 5, doesn't work in
Mint 6. (Linux Mint uses Ubuntu as its base, but is more elegant). I am
dual-booting with Windows XP,  and both my soundcard and floppy drive
are still working under XP.  I am not helpless, but I am limited in my
knowledge of linux. On one (floppy problem) forum, the advice was to "go
into etc\fstab", and add something (I forget what). I opened "computer,"
opened "filesystem," opened "etc," but couldn't find "fstab." Now what?
Should I have to waste countless hours correcting problems that didn't
exist in earlier versions? May I suggest that some of you geeks check
the forums to see how many other noobies are as exasperated as I am?
George Borusiewich