Rebuilding old hardware [was: Looking for new business oportunities]

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sat Feb 28 00:40:34 UTC 2009

Hi If it is not going on the Internet, any older Linux Distro would do.
I bought Mandrake 8.1 and all the repositories on CD way back in those
days. It works very well on a PI and up. It installs in about 20
minutes. No Glitches with this Linux. 9 works and 10 also. Xbuntu and
Simply Mepis could work, on older systems.
Others that work are Linspire 5.0  and up. Dam Small Linux works but it
is a bit tricky to install, in Frugal mode. It's a 50 Meg Operating
System, works even on a 486, with not much memory, and makes it run
Zippy! Puppy Linux I have not used, but I hear it works good too!
Knoppix CDs can work, they run in Live mode, but can be installed too,
older versions of that, from around PI time. (all these older Distros
need the Repositories on CD to work well, because the Internet
Repositories probably don't exist any more.)

I thought GOS was an Ubuntu Derivative.

I have some of these older CD's and might be able to make you a Copy. I
have a few others earlier versions of Suse, Centios, FC, Mandrake 9 and
10 with the repositories. (Provided it does not conflict with the
Licence Agreement)

I made a few older systems too, that ran OK, on Museum Computers.

Alfred!