Looking for new business oportunities

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Fri Feb 27 20:37:50 UTC 2009

Hi Rob. Thanks. I know. That becomes part of the marketing effort of
course. One of the difficulties still is that it is not just important
to show that the software they are starting off with is good, well
supported, and cheap, but that new hardware and software will operate on
the platform as well. Anyone who has used skype or photoshop on Linux,
or has tried to make a Lexmark or Kodak printer behave properly knows
some of the issues here.

OSS is the underdog in the business world. There is less business
software for it and it is not always supported by hardware vendors. That
is why I think the key market is small businesses 10-100 PCs who may not
yet be using a lot of specialized software and databases.

Companies that are currently using only MS Office and and exchange
server are the prime candidates. I think there should be quite a few of
them. I am still trying to get numbers for volume licence costs from MS
and typical MS consulting costs for outside IT. Then I'll have and idea
of what kind of viable market there is.

cheers,
darryl