Looking for new business oportunities

David Tremblay david at ngowiki.net
Mon Feb 23 21:59:33 UTC 2009

There's an excellent book about migration here

It tend to date since it's a 2006 book. However everything you need to know
about migration is "almost" there

I also agree with @john method, server and FOSS on windows first then the
free desktop. In the course of my life that's how my migrations succeeded.
Slowing the pace (introducing one application at the time) will help ease
the suffering of the users.

Pricing for ubuntu, the last time I checked with Canonical, support is
around 250 per desktop (working hours) per year and 750$ per server (also
working hours). 7/24 support for server is much more expensive (2 thousands
something).
Support come with a landscape tool subscription to manage your desktops and
server

hope it helps

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Mr. C clark <c_dive at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  John,
> That is how I learned to break free of M$
> Thank you for the reminder.
> Chris.
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:49:26 -0500
> Subject: Re: Looking for new business oportunities
> From: swfiua at gmail.com
> To: ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com
>

> There is a middle ground that can be used here.
>
> First off, run the servers on linux.
>
> Second don't buy office etc -- use openoffice for windows.
>
> Use firefox for browsing.
>
> etc etc.
>
> This gets them familiar with the apps, saves them the bulk of the license
> costs and only leaves them with the malware problems.   Since it is hard to
> buy a box without some form of windows on it, the OS itself doesn't cost too
> much (at least not in $'s), the main savings come in not buying the add-ons.
>
> Once they are happy with the new tools, then you can start showing them
> shiny new linux desktops.
>
> John
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Darryl Moore <darryl at moores.ca> wrote:
>
> Hey Leslie. Actually I think that non-profits should be prime targets in
> this sort of venture. In a legit MS world they often are not able to
> afford all the extra functionality they might otherwise get in a fully
> functional MS network environment. In a non-legit MS world. they also
> suffer from higher risks from malware due to poor or nonexistent
> security updates.

David Tremblay

IT analyst
mob: 418-208-3631