evolution mail

Joel Goguen jgoguen at jgoguen.ca
Sun Aug 9 12:15:25 UTC 2009

Hi Ray,

To establish an Evolution mail account, you have to have an existing
email account with another provider (such as Hotmail, GMail, Yahoo...)
and you tell Evolution to check that email account.  Evolution does not
make its own email accounts - you have to have one already.

As an example, I have the email address jgoguen at jgoguen.ca that I use
with Evolution. This does not mean that my address is an evolution
address.  Quite the contrary, I had to make sure the address was fully
working before I even started thinking about Evolution!  Once I saw that
I could send and receive emails using jgoguen at jgoguen.ca I then opened
Evolution and set it up to check for new emails in my account and send
emails using my SMTP server as my account.

It's the exact same thing for any other mail client - you must have a
working email account before starting to use them.  Thus, if you were to
switch to Evolution, you would need to have an email account already
working ans set up with another provider - in your case, that would be
Hotmail.  If you decide to use Evolution with Hotmail, you will end up
transferring all your Hotmail mails to Evolution - making them
inaccessible from the web-based Hotmail interface.

So, to attempt to answer your questions assuming that you would still
want to use Hotmail with Evolution... the email address Evolution wants
is your Hotmail email address.  Hotmail only supports POP, so you would
choose POP.  In a nutshell, POP (Post Office Protocol) is a mail access
protocol that downloads all the mail from the server to your computer
and IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) is an access protocol that
leaves mail on the server, works with copies on your computer, and
synchronizes changes between the server and all clients you use.  The
server Evolution asks for is the server from which all mail is to be
downloaded - in your case, pop2.live.com.  Later you'll be asked for the
SMTP server (the server used to send mail), which is smtp.live.com:587
(which means, server smtp.live.com on port 587).  Again, Evolution will
not work unless you set it up to use an email account that you can use
without Evolution.

Hope that clears things up a little.