Ubuntu 8.04, suddenly why does logging back in cause black screen?

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Tue Apr 28 03:22:06 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Leslie Lewis <lesliel8 at gmail.com>
To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 8.04, suddenly why does logging back in cause black
screen?
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:23:32 -0600

I had that problem after an update in 8.10. My solution was to switch to
Linux Mint, which is basically just Ubuntu with (I think) a bit more
checking of the upgrades. I'll move to 9.04 when I'm convinced that it
will work with my NVIDIA graphics card.

Hi Leslie:

I had that Problem early on in 8.10, but I don't have Windows, so I just
continued to use it, and one day a few upgrades later, all those
Problems with the Nvidia card were Fixed. Didn't even have to do
anything, it picked the right driver for my card, downloaded it, and it
works! I got an Accellero S2 Cooler for my Nvidia card, that made a big
difference too. On Ebay Shinny Hardware has them. It's a two heatpipe
cooler. Keeps the chip at freezing temperature so to say!

Alfred!