Augmented Reality

Victor Mendonça victorbrca at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 17 04:02:57 UTC 2009

Very good replies! Concerns on how things could change our life to worse are extremely important, but I also think that we as humanity should not stop evolution due to a few that use it against us. We should instead find means to put a stop to it, while still looking ahead.

I think one of the main problems with society nowadays is advertisement (including, and very important, all the waste of paper that comes with it). But I don't think that things like this should stop us from discovering, creating and implementing new technologies. Think on all the good that this could create? For example, a good guess would be that to use a technology like this a constant connection to the Internet would be needed. This could give access to emergency calls (via VoIP or any other means) extremely quick. How about never getting lost again? Or having a feed of informations (like speed, school area) in front of you eyes while you are driving? Or a Dr. getting on the fly information from his patient during a surgery? A student getting training with detailed holograms? Being able to access Wikipedia during a seminar to look for something and/or saving an audio/video recording to watch later?

All these would assume that many aspects of our life would change. Many copyright laws would have to be re-analysed. But I think at the end this is very exciting. You never know, a technology like this might even run on a different OS other than Linux and Windows!! :-/

Victor Mendonça
http://wazem.org/