Farewell, Ubuntu (update)

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:53:22 UTC 2008

And if you want to use both cards, but want one to be set as default:

In a terminal, type:

cat /proc/asound/modules

This will give the the name and index of each soundcard you have
currently. Make a note of the names, and decide which one you want to be
the default card.

Now type

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

At the very end of the file, add the following (assuming you have 3
cards with module names A, B and C and you want to have them in the
order CAB):

options snd-C index=0
options snd-A index=1
options snd-B index=2

I took this info from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

I have gotten into this problem before myself....the real issue is if
you have 2 soundcards (and want to use both) if you set the default in
Gnome-admin-sound, it keeps resetting back to which ever card alsa says
is default....this was the method that worked perfectly for me...get
alsa to set the correct default soundcard and gnome is always happy

Eugene

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 09:33 -0300, Eric Cyr wrote:
> Very interesting....I had suspected something similar with mine, but I
> haven't found a way to set one or the other to be the default in
> Ubuntu (unless I'm missing something obvious?)
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 3:29 PM, George Borusiewich
> <v.g.borus at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>         Three times in the past 6 months I have posted messages on
>         this site
>         detailing my problems in getting "sound" out of Ubuntu 8.04
>         and
>         8.10(alpha). Previously, I used 6.04, 6.10, 7.04, and 7.10
>         with no sound
>         problems. After my last post several weeks ago, I was flooded
>         with
>         offers of help (especially from Eugene Cormier). Thank you
>         all. This
>         week I think that I have finally solved the problem.  I am now
>         using
>         Linux Mint, which is a derivative of Ubuntu, and very much
>         like Ubuntu
>         itself (in fact I have access to all Ubuntu and Debian
>         repositories).
>         The problem was that in addition to the Soundblaster Audigy
>         soundcard
>         that I have installed on my machine, my Asus motherboard also
>         has a
>         "sound circuit." From 6.04 to 7.10, Ubuntu chose my
>         Soundblaster card as
>         the default. For some reason, 8.04 and 8.10 (alpha) chose the
>         circuits
>         on my motherboard as the default. Even though I tried plugging
>         my
>         speakers into the motherboard sound outlet, I still did not
>         get sound.
>         Last week, while continuing to stumble-around, trying to solve
>         the
>         problem, I went into Main Menu (under Linux Mint), chose
>         "Sound and
>         Video," chose "Pulse Audio Volume Control," chose "Output
>         Devices," and
>         found 2 volume control slider tracks. One for my motherboard
>         sound
>         circuit, and one for my sound card. While accidently passing
>         my mouse
>         pointer over one of the tracks, a menu popped-up asking
>         "Default?" with
>         a little tick-box beside. I ticked the default box by the
>         Soundcard
>         tracks, rebooted and YES I now have sound. The version of
>         Linux Mint
>         that I am now using is "5 (x64)" which is based on Ubuntu 8.04
>         (x64).
>         Perhaps this information will help the other poor souls who
>         (on other
>         sites) have reported the same problem. George Borusiewich
>
>         --

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *