Problems with Kubuntu 8.10 Beta install

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Oct 20 17:51:19 UTC 2008

Donald &/or Mila Trombley wrote:
>>     Well, such hangups are likely to be kernel related and therefore
>>     should happen with any of the *buntu flavors. It would be helpful, if you
>>     would report as much information as possible to bugs.launchpad.net
>>     <http://bugs.launchpad.net> in order for someone to look at it.

I'm just surprised that so much would get done on the install for it to
stop on a kernel problem.

>> to check the state of your system when it is frozen do ctrl+alt+f8 to
>> see messages

There are certainly a bunch of CD read errors going on, which is
surprising since other Ubuntu installs have worked fine using this same
drive.

>> you may want to try a USB dongle install just to rule out any problem
>> with your external CD
>>
>> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I'll see if this eliminates the problem.

FWIW, my intent is to make a quad-boot system; three of the
installations are already done and working, I'm trying to add Kubuntu
8.10 as a fourth. This last install is the only one to have had a
glitch; the third -- Ubuntu Netbook Remix based on 8.04 -- installed and
works fine.

- Evan