Farewell, Ubuntu

Victor Mendonça victorbrca at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 5 15:08:27 UTC 2008

I'm glad you are not giving up on Linux completely. If it's other distros that you want to try, I'd say go ahead with it. One thing I should mention is that most of the distros will not be so easy ot use and setup as Ubuntu. Ubuntu aims to have an user experience similar to that of a MAC computer.

I also have had many sound problems with Ubuntu 8.04 (and I do like 7.10 a lot more than 8.04). Right now my volume control on my panel does not work as I changed some configuration to use the speakers for skype. Another problem that I've been having is with playback in VLC when I have a firefox window open. The fix was to change vlc to pulse audio, which worked for the first few days, but after a while it stopped working. I haven't had time to looks for fixes.

Again, these problems are not even close to the other major problems I would have with other Linux distros (being a noob myself). And I know that Ubuntu has the best forum support compared to any other distro. I too sometimes don't get my answer, but that does not mean that I will stop there. I make it personal to resolve the problem (because I enjoy troubleshooting).

Good luck with the experimentaion. You only got more to learn from it.

Let us know if you'd like to give the sound problem another try (even if just for the heck of it).

Victor Mendonça
IT Worker - Linux enthusiast
http://wazem.org/