About the Green Party...

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 5 14:08:56 UTC 2008

@Chris,

just because I am not eligible to vote, does not mean that I would
be eligible for a "youth party" :D

No, I am a recent newcomer to Canada and quite seasoned in years.
And yes, in the future I will be able to cast my vote too. Therefore,
I am reading this thread with a lot of interest.

And 65% of eligible voters actually voting is not too bad. Even in
Europe voter participation is going more and more towards 50%
or lower. That is really scary.

Anyway, Is it already too late, or can we still do something to get
attention by the voters in order to focus them to our topics?
I would also suggest a more medium and long-term strategy.
Currently parties have no time to change their platforms. The
time to take influence in the real party decision making is after
the election when they start to put themselves in position for the
next elections.

In regards to the Green Party. How much is the local green party
here in contact/communication with the Green Parties in Europe in
particular in France and Germany. I am not sure of your are aware
of this, but the Green Party in the European Parliament and in the
German Government at the time had lots to do with stopping the EU
to adopt software patents.

Finally, if you are looking for a party that is 100% on the right side
of the issues in regards to "Intellectual Property" (a total misnomer
btw.) then you should check out the Pirate Party
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party).
As you can see from the map on the wiki page, there are at least
discussions of the start of such a party in Canada. Maybe getting
involved in this movement could be a efficient way of bringing this
topic into the platforms of the mainstream parties. Remember, the
real winner of the 1992 US presidential elections was Ross Perot.
Almost all of his main platform planks have been/or had been
for a time implemented by Congress during the Clinton presidency.
Therefore, it often also makes sense to indirectly influence the
elected parties and MPs by a strong out-of-Parliament opposition.
(Btw. this is how the Green Party started in Germany about 25 years
ago, and for 15 years they are already participating in the governing
of cities, states, and have even been in the German government).

In conclusion, I believe this discussion is a very important and
fruitful discussion and we should also discuss how we take some
of this intensity that is raised by the current elections and use it
in forms in which all parties feel the effect of influence, and the
voters recognise that this issue is as important as tax politics,
foreign politics, social politics, and even ecology (interestingly
IP has an influence on all of those, who would have thought :D).

My 2¢.

- Ralph