Tech issues in election 2008 (Was: Re: About the Green Party...)

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Sat Oct 4 23:27:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> I personally liked the response that came through from Michael
> Richardson that talked about some of the "cons" of the Green Party
> policy.

   It is actually a standard problem of when political parties talk about
technology law.  While MCR has personal experience with the GPC, my
viewing of pretty much every party is that they are the same at this level
--- that the parties themselves don't know much about these areas of
policy, but individual members/candidates do.

   This is why it is so important to largely ignore what the parties are
saying, and talk to individual candidates.

   I also don't agree with MCR on talking open source vs. open standards.
Discussing FLOSS in the context of the economy could easily be more about
peer production, and it is just as valid to talk about this as it is to
discuss whether you believe tax cuts are or are not a way of helping the
economy.

   See: The Wealth of Networks -- Benkler.org

    I'm not saying that this is what the GPC was or was not talking about.
Just that talking about Peer Production (even incorrectly spelled "Open
Source" before) as many people do -- I've heard the phrase "open source
politics) is far larger and more important than just open standards.  I
also think that we'll only get open standards as a result of politicians
finally understanding peer production, and not as likely the other way
around.  The old-economy belief that greater exclusive rights improves the
economy will only lead politicians to grant greater exclusive rights on
interfaces (and use acquisition policies that respect and promote those
exclusive interfaces).

> There is no reason why the Ubuntu community can't advocate for open
> source/open standards across ALL political parties without it degrading
> into a flamefest.

    Agreed.  Rather than focusing on the insignificant number of past MPs
that knew something about technology issues and what parties they happened
to in, we need to focus on finding the gems across the country and helping
to get them into parliament -- no matter what party they are in.  It is
far better to have a  handful of technology aware people in every party
than it would be to have one party that had everyone understanding it.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"