About the Green Party...

Chris Powell str8line at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:44:44 UTC 2008

As one of the Administrators of this List I want to say that this has been
one of the most active posts since the 2006 election when a similar debate
opened up and people weighed in.

My love for open source and free software does not match the political will
or capability of North American politics.  This is not Europe and like it or
not for North America the debate of transparency is still very much in its
infancy.  I agree with many of the posts stating that it is up to us not the
politicians to have FOSS as an agenda.  They can not promote what they do
not know exists.

I do not feel that this is the place to promote any single party or state
what My Political View is but I have attached links to 3 of the 4 National
Parties published platforms (the Conservatives are slated to release their
platform on October 7, 2008).

Liberal: http://www.liberal.ca/pdf/platform/2008lp_action_plan_e.pdf

NDP: http://www.ndp.ca/xfer/campaign2008/Platform_2008_EN.pdf

Green: http://www.votefortomorrow.ca/Looking_Forward.pdf

As a personal observation and not something to insight a flame war or
anything else but the Green Party that is the foundation of this entire
thread has a platform that in total is 8 pages long compared to 46 pages for
the NDP and 76 pages for the Liberals.  A young and inexperienced party or
not this level of non-disclosure of what your proposed plans are scares me
just a little (even their budget posted on their site is a three page
condensed version of what will be changed instead of what is going to be
done???).

Thanks to everyone for participating in this conversation.  Like it or not,
I do think that this is the place for this type of discussion.  It is an
election, if it means that the indifference and ignorance of our country is
reduced even just a little than this discussion has done some good for all.

Do not forget to cast your ballet on October 14, 2008.  If you don't vote
you have no business complaining about the way things are run.  The process
takes only a few moments out of your day, the polls are open 9-9 coast to
coast and your employer *must* give you time off (you can also go to your
local Elections Canada <http://www.elections.ca/home.asp>office to cast an
early ballot).

--
Chris Powell